Mr J.D. (John) Boy
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group: Political Sociology: Power, Place and Difference
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Room number: B6.22
1001 NA Amsterdam
Ph.D. in Sociology (with a Certificate in Women's Studies), City University of New York, 2015.
Visit my website or click on the Publications tab for more information.
Publications in scholarly journals 🎓
2018. “Trending #hijabfashion: Using Big Data to Study Religion at the Online–Urban Interface.” Nordic Journal of Religion and Society, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 22–40 (with Justus Uitermark and Laïla Wiersma).
2017. “Reassembling the City through Instagram.” Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 612–624 (with Justus Uitermark).
2016. “How to Study the City on Instagram.” PLOS ONE, vol. 11, no. 6, p. e0158161 (with Justus Uitermark).
2015. “The Axial Age and the Problems of the Twentieth Century.” The American Sociologist, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 234–247.
2014. “The Inq13 POOC: A Participatory Experiment in Open, Collaborative Teaching and Learning.” Journal of Interactive Technology and Pedagogy, no. 5 (with Jessie Daniels, Matt Gold, and the POOC Collective).
2013. “Inventing the Axial Age: The Origins and Uses of a Historical Concept.” Theory and Society, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 241–259 (with John Torpey).
2012. “Provincializing the European Religious Landscape.” Perspectives on Europe, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 80–83.
Other publications 🖋️
2012. “The Bible as Floral Pattern.” Standplaats Wereld, June 22.
2009. “Icons of the New Evangelicalism.” Killing the Buddha, September 6.
Selection of contributions to The Immanent Frame as contributing editor since 2009:
- The Fanatical Counterpublic (March 12, 2009)
- The Crucifix Controversy and the Contradictions of German Secularism (April 30, 2010)
- Google, God, and the Public (August 19, 2010)
- Thinking about Revolution, Religion, and Egypt with Talal Asad (February 23, 2011)
- What We Talk About When We Talk About the Postsecular (March 15, 2011)
- America Plus Nothing (September 23, 2011)
- Muhammad Asad and the Concept of an Islamic Politics (May 21, 2012)
- The View from Berlin: An Interview with Hubert Knoblauch, Part 1 (October 16, 2012)
- Subjects, Spirituality, and Smoking: An Interview with Hubert Knoblauch, Part 2 (October 18, 2012)
Digital projects 💾
Occuprint (developer; curator)
Possible Futures (contributing editor)
The Immanent Frame (contributing editor)
Frequencies (associate editor)
- Boy, J. D., Uitermark, J. L., & Wiersma, L. (2018). Trending #hijabfashion: Using Big Data to Study Religion at the Online–Urban Interface. Nordic Journal of Religion and Society, 31(1), 22-40. DOI: 10.18261/issn.1890-7008-01-02
- Boy, J. D., & Uitermark, J. L. (2015). Capture and share the city: Mapping Instagram’s uneven geography in Amsterdam. Paper presented at RC21-conference "The Ideal City: between myth and reality", Urbino, Italy.
- Boy, J. D. (Developer). (2017). Occuprint. Digital or Visual Products, Retrieved from http://occuprint.org/
- Boy, J. D. (Ed.) (Editor). (2017). Frequencies. Web publication/site, Retrieved from http://frequencies.ssrc.org/
- Boy, J. D. (Ed.) (Editor). (2017). Possible Futures. Web publication/site, Retrieved from http://www.possible-futures.org/
- Boy, J. D. (Ed.) (Editor). (2017). The Immanent Frame. Web publication/site, Retrieved from https://tif.ssrc.org/
De Haagse Hogeschool
Undergraduate thesis advisor