dr. F.I. (Frank) Mueller
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
GPIO : Governance and Inclusive Development
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Amsterdam
1001 NC Amsterdam
I am a political scientist and a postdoctoral researcher at SECURCIT and at the Human Geography, Planning and International Development Department and the Centre for Urban Studies at the University of Amsterdam. My research focuses on housing and securitization in Urban Latin America and beyond. I have studied land conflicts, “pacification”, and protests against involuntary resettlements in Mexico City and Rio de Janeiro. Informed by studies on the performativity of power, my research is examining urban informality as a volatile role and ascription. Informality I take as a methodological place to understand how the urban is produced in everyday security encounters and which socio-political and –spatial effects these generate.
During my year at the UvA I will take this approach further in two projects: First, in a collaborative research project with Markus-Michael Müller and Andrea Steinke (Latin American Institute, Freie Universität Berlin) we study the transnational entanglements of “pacification” encounters in low-income communities in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Second, I am developing a project to explore emerging forms of governability in the ever more polarizing and securitized urban peripheries of Medellin, Rio de Janeiro and Berlin. The retreat of residents to gated enclaves, the formation of right-wing neighborhood defense groups, the employment of surveillance technologies and private security firms, and new strategies to displace low-income populations to the urban peripheries can be studied as global assemblages of securitizing housing.
- Mueller, F. I. (2017). Urban informality as a signifier: Performing urban reordering in suburban Rio de Janeiro. International Sociology, 32. [details]
- Mueller, F. I., & Segura, R. (2017). The Uses of Informality: Urban Development and Social Distinction in Mexico City. Latin American Perspectives, 44(3), 158. [details]
- Mueller, F. I. (2016). Digitalizing Urban Latin America: A New Layer for Persistent Inequalities? Critical Reviews on Latin American Research, 5(2). [details]
- Mueller, F. I. (2016). ¿El cuerpo en la ciudad? Improntas sobre el Derecho a la Ciudad desde México. In Sustentabilidad desde abajo : Luchas desde el género y la etnicidad (pp. 191). Lateinamerika-Institut der Freien Universität Berlin. [details]
- Müller, F., & Mueller, M-M. (2016). Im- und Export von Aufstandsbekämpfung: Von Rio de Janeiro nach Port-au-Prince und zurück. Peripherie: Zeitschrift für Politik und ökonomie in der Dritten Welt, 2016(1), 74-92. DOI: 10.3224/peripherie.v36i141.22890 [details] [PDF]
- Mueller, F. I. (2014). The Global City and its Other: Decentering Informality in and from Mexico City. (Fragmentierte Moderne ed.) Edition Tranvia . [details]
- Mueller, F. I. (2017). Loïc Wacquant: Urban Outcasts. In F. Eckardt (Ed.), Schlüsselwerke der Stadtforschung (pp. 261-275). Wiesbaden: Springer-Verlag. [details]
- Mueller, F. I. (2017). Review of: The Punitive City: Privatized Policing and Protection in Mexico City. Revista Europea de Estudios Latinoamericanos y del Caribe. [details]
- Mueller, Frank (organiser) (29-6-2017): Workshop on Securing Housing and the Governing of Uncertainty (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- Mueller, Frank (editor) (2012-): Critical Reviews on Latin American Research (Journal).
- No ancillary activities